Position Summary: ILS is seeking a Senior Mechanisms Engineer in the field of Spacecraft Docking Systems and Hatches. The Senior Engineer will provide support on behalf of our customers for ensuring the GLS space mechanisms, including docking systems and hatches are developed, manufactured, and operated in accordance with the requirements of the Gateway program. Under the Deep Space Logistics Engineering Support (LENS) contract, our employees will provide engineering support to NASA to review and assess activities of the Gateway Logistics Services (GLS) IDIQ Contract Commercial Service Provider(s). This effort may include the review and assessment of the requirements, design, analysis, testing, manufacturing, verification, validation, assembly, integration, checkout, mission preparations and operations required to deliver cargo and payloads to the lunar Gateway, or for other DSL mission projects and interests.
The Senior Engineer – Mechanisms, Spacecraft Docking Systems and Hatches provides support on behalf of our customers for ensuring the GLS space mechanisms, including docking systems and hatches are developed, manufactured, and operated in accordance with the requirements of the Gateway program.
Status: Immediate hire
Job Type: Full-time
Labor Category: Engineer III/IV
Location: Kennedy Space Center, FL
Citizenship Requirement: This position requires access to hardware and technical data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) export control regulations. Accordingly, all applicants must be U.S. persons which includes U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents (i.e., Green Card holders), and or other protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3).
Minimum Education/Experience: B.S. degree in engineering or related discipline from an accredited engineering school and fourteen (14) years of related engineering experience or an M.S. degree in engineering or a related discipline from an accredited engineering school and ten (10) years of related engineering experience
Description of Duties
- Provide requirement and concept development, detailed design, verification, and validation of the GLS docking and hatch mechanisms.
- Provide general insight (monitor and evaluate contractor design) at technical meetings with contractor/subcontractors.
- Review designs and provide technical mentoring on Requirements Development, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Test, Requirements Verification, etc.
- Provide technical oversight of mechanisms related activities and efforts.
- Support development, integration, and test of space flight mechanisms.
- Directly interact with the NASA customer along with various NASA support contractors.
- Participate in system failure and anomaly investigations, and conduct root-cause analysis
- Based on analysis and observation, provide recommendations for concurrence or nonconcurrence with the Gateway Logistics Services Provider’s actions
- Must successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Ability to work in a team environment consisting of NASA civil servants and various contractor employees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with NASA Commercial launch services vehicles and providers is highly desired.
- Experience with spacecraft docking systems and hatches highly desired.
- Proficiency with component design and assembly management using 3D CAD software
- Proficiency with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Familiarity with commonly used space and commercial specifications for materials (metallic and composite), processes, fasteners, mechanical components (actuators, bearings, gears etc.), connectors, wiring, etc.
- Proficiency highly desired with NX™ Nastran®, FEMAP, MATLAB®, Mathcad, ANSYS, Engineering Model for Plume Impingement in Rarefield Environments (EMPIRE), RCSPLUME.
Skills and Competencies
- Good verbal, written, and listening skills required
- Good interpersonal and customer relation skills required
- Good presentation skills required
- MS Office; PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook
How to Apply: Applicants who meet the minimum criteria stipulated above are requested to e-mail a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Integrated Launch Solutions, Inc. (ILS) is a certified Woman Owned Small Business incorporated and headquartered in Merritt Island, Florida. Centrally located on the Space Coast, our team of experienced professionals and subject matter experts is helping the space launch industry shape the next generation of spacecraft, launch vehicle, launch range, and ground system integration services. We are currently working with commercial launch service providers, spacecraft developers, and launch site operators to streamline processes and enable rapid, responsive, cost effective, and safe launch services. Visit www.ilscorporation.com to learn more about our support in the areas of launch complex design, activation and management; systems engineering; vehicle assembly, integration, and test; range integration; and launch operations.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, ILS supports equal pay for equal work and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.